Milky Bitter Leaf Shake: It’s Not Your Grandmother’s Bitter Leaf Juiceby Ronke Edoho
Published: June 10, 2015
After reading about all the great health benefits of bitter leaf, you must be wondering about a quick and effective way to get it into your diet. This milky drink can be enjoyed cold or at room temperature at any time of the day. It is delicious and packed full of healthy goodness.
This recipe calls for unwashed bitter leaf. If you find this a little daunting, you may start with washed bitter leaf and gradually incorporate more of the unwashed leaves as you get more used to the taste.
- 2 handfuls fresh bitter leaf or 1/2 cup dried
- thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 cup 2% milk (or 1/2 cup evaporated milk plus 1/2 cup water, or 3 tablespoons powdered milk in 1 cup water)
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- In a blender, combine the bitter leaf with 1 cup water. Blend for 2-3 minutes to extract juice.
- Place a mesh strainer over a bowl and pour in the puréed leaves to collect the juice. Discard the resulting chaff. Use a spoon to scoop off any foaming residue that collects on top of the collected juice.
- In a medium-size container, combine the bitter leaf juice, milk and honey. Stir well to combine.
Serve over ice or at room temperature.
Like what you're reading? Sign up for our free newsletter and never miss a post! Plus get a FREE digital version of our Issue No.06 with sign up.
- Milky Bitter Leaf Shake: It’s Not Your Grandmother’s Bitter Leaf Juice - June 10, 2015
- Moimoi Inspired – Savory Baked Chickpeas Pudding - August 25, 2015
- Akara Inspired Pan Fried Chickpeas Fritters - August 18, 2015
- Bitter Leaf Soup (Efo-Elewuro) - June 10, 2015
- Bitter Leaf and Avocado Spread - June 10, 2015