Recipe: Moin-Moin With Unpeeled BeansBy Lohi Ogolo
Published: July 16, 2014
Why is it that we peel our beans to prepare moin-moin? Besides time saved, there may be more good reasons to skip this step. With this recipe, you can maximize the nutritious benefits of moin-moin without sacrificing taste.
- 1 cup brown beans
- 2 small onions
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 habanerno/scotch bonnet/atarodo
- 2 tablespoons crayfish
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Choice of protein - e.g. egg, corned beef or shrimps
- 1 cup water
- cooking spray
- 6 ramekins*
- 1 large pot
- Foil paper
- In a blender or food processor, combine brown beans, onions, bell pepper, habanero, crayfish, oil and water.
- Blend on high speed for 1-3 minutes, or until mixture is smooth when rubbed between fingers.
- Pour back into a bowl and taste for seasoning. Add more salt if needed.
- Stir with a wooden spoon for 2 - 3 minutes to remove all excess air.
- Add eggs, shrimps, corned beef etc and set aside.
- Pour about a cup of water into the large pot and line the bottom of the pot with foil paper.
- Using cooking spray or oil or butter, oil the ramekins and pour ½ cup of batter into each ramekin. Cover with foil paper and place inside the pot.
- Steam for 40-60 minutes adding more water to the pot as needed.
*If you do not have ramekins, you can use traditional leaves, foil paper or sterilized tins.
Like what you're reading? Sign up for our free newsletter and never miss a post! Plus get a FREE digital version of our Issue No.06 with sign up.
- Grilled Pineapple With Honey And Dark Chocolate Drizzle - October 24, 2014
- Roasted Chicken with Potatoes and Carrots - April 16, 2014
- Kale Efo Recipe: When You’re “In The Abroad” and Native Food Calleth - May 20, 2014
- [Recipe] Sweet Potato Waffles - October 21, 2014
- RECIPE: Egg And Plantain Frittatas - June 10, 2014
- Banana-Pineapple-Bitter Leaf Smoothie - August 12, 2014
- Recipe: Moin-Moin With Unpeeled Beans - July 16, 2014
- Fried Quinoa - May 2, 2014
- Beans and Spicy Tomatoes Sauce - April 2, 2014
- Thoughts on #jollofgate Plus Jollof Rice Recipe - November 5, 2014