Weekend Challenge: The Burpee Breathing LadderBy Radiant Health
Published: April 8, 2016
Most workouts are governed by time – how long it takes you perform an exercise, the length of time you need to rest between sets, how long you need to perform a certain exercise for… This workout is different because, instead of using time, it uses the number of breaths you take to control the amount of rest you get between sets.
This has a number of effects:
- Teaches you to control your breathing rate even when you are tired
- Means that you don’t have to keep an eye on the time when you work out
- Forces you to work at a different pace to what you might usually find comfortable
- Provides a novel challenge to keep exercise boredom at bay
- Do one burpee
- Take one deep breath
- Do two burpees
- Take two deep breaths
- Do three burpees
- Take three deep breaths etc.
Keep adding a rep and a breath until you (a) reach ten reps or (b) can no longer do the required reps or (c) cannot limit yourself to the prescribed number of breaths.
Burpees – stand with your feet together and your hands by your sides. Squat down and place your hands on the floor just in front of your feet. Jump your feet back and into the press-up position. Perform a single press-up. Jump your feet back up and into your hands and then leap into the air. Land on slightly bent legs and repeat. Leave out the press-up and/or the jump if you need an easier version of this workout.
Like what you're reading? Sign up for our free newsletter and never miss a post! Plus get a FREE digital version of our Issue No.10 with sign up.
- Some Americans Will Have Medical Debt Wiped From Credit - July 9, 2022
- Natural Gas Used to Heat Homes Contains Some Harmful Chemicals - July 9, 2022
- Uterine Cancer Claims Many Black Lives - July 9, 2022
- Babies and Toddlers Get COVID-19 Shots - June 27, 2022
- FDA Bans Juul’s E-Cigarettes and Cartridges - June 27, 2022
- Polio Virus Found in London Sewage - June 27, 2022
- 200 Million Americans Are Drinking Contaminated Water - June 19, 2022
- Young Kids Can Finally Get Vaccinated Against COVID-19 - June 19, 2022
- New Regulations for Baby Sleep Products - June 19, 2022
- FDA Approves First Drug for Alopecia Hair Loss - June 19, 2022