Weekend Challenge: 15-Minute Fab Abs ChallengeBy Radiant Health
Published: March 4, 2016
Whether you just want a flat tummy or a fully-fledged six-pack, you have got to work your rectus abdominus muscle – abs for short. Running from your sternum down to your pelvis, this muscle is arguably the most important of your midsection muscles. Coming a close second is your transverse abdominus which circles your waist like an old-fashioned girdle.
This workout targets both of these important muscles using variations of one of the best abs exercises around – the plank.
Perform the exercises as a circuit resting for the prescribed time at the end of each three-exercise lap.
Exercise 1 – Mountain Climbers
Adopt the press-up position with your legs and arms straight and your shoulders, hips, knees and feet properly aligned. Brace your abs tight! Bend one leg and pull your knee in to touch your elbow. Keep your hips and shoulders level and still. Extend your leg and then do the same more on the opposite side. Maintaining a slow, steady rhythm, continue until you have performed the prescribed number of reps.
Exercise 2 – Body Saws
Rest on your elbows and walk your legs back so your body is straight. Place your feet on an old towel so they are free to slide. Brace your abs. Push back with your arms and slide your feet 12-18 inches/30-45 centimetres to the rear and then pull yourself forward and back into the starting position. Do this slowly to keep the tension on your abs. Continue until you have performed the prescribed number of reps.
Exercise 3 – Planks
Rest on your elbows and walk your legs back so your body is straight. Keeping your hips off the floor and your abs braced, hold this position (but not your breath) for the prescribed duration.
Like what you're reading? Sign up for our free newsletter and never miss a post! Plus get a FREE digital version of our Issue No.10 with sign up.
- Should you double up on masks for extra protection? Plus how best to wear your mask - July 16, 2021
- Breathing Wildfire Air Can Impact Sperm and Brain - September 10, 2021
- Researchers Confirm that Masks Work - September 10, 2021
- Vaccine Fatigued? Don’t Forget Your Flu Shot - September 9, 2021
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): A Simple Guide & Resources to Staying Safe - March 13, 2020
- BBC Documentary: Sex For Grades Rampant At African Universities - August 25, 2020
- Strength Training- Why It Is Important For Fitness And Weight Loss - September 22, 2015
- Super Foods You Need To Know About - April 28, 2014
- Fixing Your Fashion Brain Freeze: The Solution To The “I Don’t Have Anything To Wear” Conundrum - August 30, 2016
- Weekend Challenge: Superman With A Twist - November 13, 2014