Weekend Challenge: The Out And Back RunBy Patrick Dale
Published: April 15, 2016
Running is one of the best cardio exercises around; it requires no specialist equipment, can be done almost anywhere and anytime, and also burns lot and lots of calories. It requires no special skills and even if you “aren’t sporty” you can still get a lot of benefit from running. This workout has an extra twist because it also includes an element of competition although the only person you’ll need to beat is yourself.
Set your stopwatch and run in any direction for six minutes. Don’t dawdle but don’t sprint either – you should feel like you areexercising at around 6 out of 10 – ten being flat out. Stop for a moment to catch your breath and then run back the way you came but, this time, run as fast as you can. Your challenge is to see how much faster you can do the return journey compared to the outward one.
When you run, remember to keep your upper body relaxed, only clench your hands lightly, keep your head up and your neck long, stride out with purpose but keep your footfalls light while you maintain an even breathing pattern that is in time with your footfalls. Note: if you don’t enjoy running, feel free to substitute powerwalking.
Like what you're reading? Sign up for our free newsletter and never miss a post! Plus get a FREE digital version of our Issue No.10 with sign up.
- The 15-Minute Fat Burning Workout for Busy Women - March 10, 2016
- How To Achieve Your Fitness Goals Even If The Year Is Almost Over - September 5, 2018
- Why You May Be Sedentary Even if You Exercise an Hour a Day and How to Change It - September 19, 2021
- 5 Newbie Fitness Mistakes And How To Avoid Them - April 5, 2016
- Full Body Winter-Beating Workout You Can Do At Home - September 5, 2018
- How To Handle Post-Workout Muscle Soreness - March 8, 2016
- When Is The Best Time of The Day To Work Out? - October 27, 2015
- New Step Up Interval Routine To Firm Up Your Bum - April 21, 2016
- Weekend Challenge: The Out And Back Run - April 15, 2016
- How To Avoid Knee Pain With Squat Exercise - February 23, 2016