Weekend Challenge: Build-A-Better-Butt RelayBy Radiant Health
Published: April 1, 2016
For many women, the butt is a problem area; it’s either too big and soft or too flat and flaccid! Your butt is actually a large muscle called your gluteus maximus but that is often abbreviated simply to glutes for short. Whatever you call it, your butt is a VERY important muscle – and not just for sitting on either!
Your glutes are your main hip extender and as such is vital for the health of your hips and lower back. A stronger butt will also help you run faster, jump further, and makes lifting objects off the floor easier. In fact, as muscles go, the glutes are arguably one of the most important in your body.
This short-but-sweet workout requires no equipment but will give your butt a thorough workout while burning calories to help you lose weight.
From a set starting point, perform 20 walking lunges – that’s ten on each leg. Continue in a straight line until you have done all the required reps. Then, without resting, do 20 bodyweight squats. Once you have completed your squats, walk or jog back to your start point and start again.
Reduce or increase the rep count to reflect your fitness level and feel free to take a few seconds of extra rest between laps if necessary.
- Beginners: Perform 2-3 laps
- Intermediates: Perform 4-5 laps
- Advanced: Perform 6-7 laps
Walking lunges – stand with your feet together and your hands by your sides. Tale a large step forward, bend your legs, and lower your rear knee to within an inch of the floor. Your front shin should be vertical and your knee well behind your toe. Step through and into another rep. Keep your torso upright throughout.
Squats – with your feet shoulder-width apart and your toes turned slightly outward, push your hips back, bend your knees and squat down until your thighs are roughly parallel to the floor. Try not to round your lower back. Stand back up and repeat.
Like what you're reading? Sign up for our free newsletter and never miss a post! Plus get a FREE digital version of our Issue No.06 with sign up.
- Coronavirus (COVID-19): A Simple Guide & Resources to Staying Safe - March 13, 2020
- Strength Training- Why It Is Important For Fitness And Weight Loss - September 22, 2015
- Super Foods You Need To Know About - April 28, 2014
- Fixing Your Fashion Brain Freeze: The Solution To The “I Don’t Have Anything To Wear” Conundrum - August 30, 2016
- Weekend Challenge: Superman With A Twist - November 13, 2014
- Weekend Challenge: Spiderman Plank - July 25, 2014
- Behind the Scenes with Radiant Issue No 13 Cover Girl, Actress Annie Ilonzeh - July 31, 2019
- What Crazy Can Do - July 31, 2019
- Behind the Scenes with Radiant Issue No 12 Cover Girl Ros Gold-Onwude - November 15, 2018
- Think Cold Brew Coffee Is Good for Your Gut? - November 9, 2018