Bitter Leaf and Avocado SpreadBy Ronke Edoho
Published: June 10, 2015
This is yet another delicious and healthy way to sneak more bitter leaf into your diet. Bitter leaf works wonderfully with creamy avocado on whole-wheat toast. To add another layer of texture, we topped the toast off with a little crushed peanut; this addition is completely optional.
It is important that you first wilt the bitter leaf in order to create a better-textured spread. If using dried bitter leaf (as it is sold in most African food stores outside Nigeria), the leaves should be boiled until softened.
- 1 cup fresh bitter leaf, or 1/3 cup dried bitter leaf
- 1 medium avocado
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon roasted groundnut (optional)
- Place fresh bitter leaf in a pot, cover and cook on low heat until wilted, 3-4 minutes. (If using dried bitter leaf, add 1/3 cup water and cook for 6-7 minutes.)
- Gently mash the bitter leaf using a mortar, or purée in a blender with no added water until smooth.
- Peel and mash avocado with a fork.
- Combine avocado, salt and bitter leaf to create a smooth paste.
Serve over toast and sprinkle with peanuts.
Never miss our delicious healthy recipes! Join our free weekly newsletter and get a bonus 10-day guide to a lean body, clear skin and radiant glow! Download your copy here.
- Milky Bitter Leaf Shake: It’s Not Your Grandmother’s Bitter Leaf Juice - June 10, 2015
- Moimoi Inspired – Savory Baked Chickpeas Pudding - August 25, 2015
- Akara Inspired Pan Fried Chickpeas Fritters - August 18, 2015
- Bitter Leaf Soup (Efo-Elewuro) - June 10, 2015
- Bitter Leaf and Avocado Spread - June 10, 2015