Milky Bitter Leaf Shake: It’s Not Your Grandmother’s Bitter Leaf JuiceBy Ronke Edoho
Published: June 10, 2015
This recipe calls for unwashed bitter leaf. If you find this a little daunting, you may start with washed bitter leaf and gradually incorporate more of the unwashed leaves as you get more used to the taste.
[RELATED]: How Bitter Leaf Can Improve Your Health
- 2 handfuls fresh bitter leaf or 1/2 cup dried
- thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- 1 cup 2% milk (or 1/2 cup evaporated milk plus 1/2 cup water, or 3 tablespoons powdered milk in 1 cup water)
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- In a blender, combine the bitter leaf with 1 cup water. Blend for 2-3 minutes to extract juice.
- Place a mesh strainer over a bowl and pour in the puréed leaves to collect the juice. Discard the resulting chaff. Use a spoon to scoop off any foaming residue that collects on top of the collected juice.
- In a medium-size container, combine the bitter leaf juice, milk and honey. Stir well to combine.
- Serve over ice or at room temperature.
Like what you're reading? Sign up for our free newsletter and never miss a post! Plus get a FREE digital version of our Issue No.10 with sign up.
- Milky Bitter Leaf Shake: It’s Not Your Grandmother’s Bitter Leaf Juice - June 10, 2015
- Moimoi Inspired – Savory Baked Chickpeas Pudding - August 25, 2015
- Akara Inspired Pan Fried Chickpeas Fritters - August 18, 2015
- Bitter Leaf Soup (Efo-Elewuro) - June 10, 2015
- Bitter Leaf Avocado Spread - June 10, 2015