Beans and Spicy Tomatoes SauceBy Lohi Ogolo
Published: April 2, 2014
This recipe is a healthy version of the famous ewa agoyin. The beans are a source of protein and the sauce is made with olive oil and lots of vegetables so you still get the agoyin taste but healthier.
- 1 cup boiled beans
- 3 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 habanero/atarodo pepper
- 1 seasoning cube (optional)*
- ½ teaspoon curry
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Protein of choice previously cooked with onions, seasoning cube* (optional), salt, curry (chicken, Goat meat. Pork, fish etc)
- In a clean pot, add the beans (after it has been picked of any particles) and water. Boil for 45 -60 minutes or until soft to taste preference.
- While the beans in boiling, Chop the tomato, onion, bell pepper and habanero and place in a blender. Roughly chop for 60 seconds.
- In a pot, add the olive oil. Once hot, place the vegetable mix into the pan and stir. Fry for 10-15 minutes or until the oil is on the top of the tomatoes. Add curry, thyme, seasoning cube (optional) and salt to taste.
- Fry for 10 more minutes and add any protein and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with beans.
*Since seasoning cube is so high in sodium and yet in almost all Nigerian dishes, reducing its intake, or eliminating it from the diet, may help improve your health. Read our seasoning cube feature here.
Like what you're reading? Sign up for our free newsletter and never miss a post! Plus get a FREE digital version of our Issue No.10 with sign up.
- Grilled Pineapple With Honey And Dark Chocolate Drizzle - October 24, 2014
- Roasted Chicken with Potatoes and Carrots - April 16, 2014
- Kale Efo Recipe: When You’re “In The Abroad” and Native Food Calleth - May 20, 2014
- [Recipe] Sweet Potato Waffles - October 21, 2014
- RECIPE: Egg And Plantain Frittatas - June 10, 2014
- Banana-Pineapple-Bitter Leaf Smoothie - August 12, 2014
- Recipe: Moin-Moin With Unpeeled Beans - July 16, 2014
- Fried Quinoa - May 2, 2014
- Beans and Spicy Tomatoes Sauce - April 2, 2014
- Thoughts on #jollofgate Plus Jollof Rice Recipe - November 5, 2014