Kale Efo Recipe: When You’re “In The Abroad” and Native Food CallethBy Lohi Ogolo
Published: May 20, 2014
It can be sometimes challenging for Africans in disapora to find fresh native vegetables for our traditional dishes. This recipe is a modified version of Nigeria’s vegetable soup, efo-riro, using kale in lieu of efo-tete or fluted pumpkin (ugwu) leaves.
Kale (or borecole), one of the healthiest vegetables, and a nutritional powerhouse, is rich in the type of antioxidants thought to prevent various cancers. It also has cholesterol lowering effects which protects against heart disease.
Using tomato as the base and eliminating palm oil, you have a tasty soup with unmatched nutritional value. Bon appétit.
- 1 bunch of fresh Kale (substitute with efo tete/ugwu)
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 maggi cube* (optional)
- ½ teaspoon curry
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon Cameroon pepper
- Salt to taste
- In a large pan, add the olive or coconut oil.
- Once hot, add the diced onions and sweat for 5 minutes or until it is see through. Add the tomato puree and fry.
- Fry the tomato puree in the oil for approximately 10 minutes to get out the sour taste.
- Add all the seasoning (curry, maggi, thyme, Cameroon pepper and salt) stir till thoroughly combined.
- Add the chicken stock and stir into the rest of the mixture.
- Add the chopped kale and stir till it is fully wilted but not overcooked about 3 minutes.
- Stir until thoroughly combined.
*Seasoning cube is high in sodium. Reducing its intake, or eliminating it from the diet, may help improve your health. Read our seasoning cube feature here.
Like what you're reading? Sign up for our free newsletter and never miss a post! Plus get a FREE digital version of our Issue No.10 with sign up.
- Grilled Pineapple With Honey And Dark Chocolate Drizzle - October 24, 2014
- Roasted Chicken with Potatoes and Carrots - April 16, 2014
- Kale Efo Recipe: When You’re “In The Abroad” and Native Food Calleth - May 20, 2014
- [Recipe] Sweet Potato Waffles - October 21, 2014
- RECIPE: Egg And Plantain Frittatas - June 10, 2014
- Banana-Pineapple-Bitter Leaf Smoothie - August 12, 2014
- Recipe: Moin-Moin With Unpeeled Beans - July 16, 2014
- Fried Quinoa - May 2, 2014
- Beans and Spicy Tomatoes Sauce - April 2, 2014
- Thoughts on #jollofgate Plus Jollof Rice Recipe - November 5, 2014